Our unincorporated community in DuPage County has come a long way from Indian lands, fields of hay and corn, and dirt roads. Liberty Park has been a “do it yourself” community from the start.
In the middle 1800’s, after the Pottawatomi Indians were moved to reservations or resettled in other parts of the country, homestead farmers from the East came to this area looking for fertile land. When this land was put on the market by the government, both good and poor land could be purchased at $1.25 an acre. Among the homesteaders was Robert Dixon.
Originally, Liberty Park was called the old Robert Dixon farm. The Dixon tombstone with a date of 1849 was uncovered in 1964 during excavation to install water storage tanks.
In 1834, two stage coach routes were opened. One was Ogden Avenue and the other was Naperville Road. Ogden Avenue and Route 66 were original Indian Trails. In 1839, DuPage County separated from Cook County and Naperville was the County Seat.
On June 12, 1924, Robert Dixon’s heirs, May C. Towsley and Fred B. Towsley, her husband, and Eugenia B. Dixon, spinster, and Jacob H. Hauch, her husband, of Chicago, Cook County, IL, and Stella G. Moor and William H. Moor, her husband of Saskatoon, Saskatchewan, Canada, for an in consideration of ten ($10.00) dollars and other good and valuable considerations in hand, paid Convey and Warrant to the Downers Grove Trust Company, a corporation of Illinois, as Trustee, vested the entire legal and equitable title to them for the real estate in the County of DuPage, which would be know as the subdivision of Liberty Park, including the release and waiver of the right of homestead. Full power was granted to improve, manage, protect and subdivide, and dedicate parks, streets, highways or alleys.
Records show that Liberty Park’s plat was recorded in DuPage County on September 16, 1924 and the 1st addition to Liberty Park plat was recorded on November 10, 1925. In 1926, dirt roads were laid with gravel. A 2 inch watermain line was installed from Washington Street West to Jackson Street now Williams Street. Farm drain clay tiles were interlaced throughout the subdivision. The Rosenthal brothers, Phil, Nate and Albert, sold lots beginning at $300.00 each. Some sales included lumber. Development had begun and small frame shell homes usually built or finished by the owners, who were usually in the trades, had begun to take shape.
Looking Back….History of Liberty Park
This book was put together by our past President, Jacqueline M. Bartasis with help from Gail Brown, Ruth Borg and Donna DeBiase. The idea for this book came from Mary Mallek Soltwisch.